The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Simplified force skills
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Simplified force skills
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raithyn
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:36 pm    Post subject: Simplified force skills Reply with quote

Inspired by ThrorII's revised Force powers, I have been tinkering with my own set of single-skill powers. There is a strong first edition bias in my list but I have a few second edition powers (often simplified) since I'm playing in the Old Republic.

Any with an asterisk must be gained through tutors, giving in to the dark side, etc. Any without are automatically granted to all players with the appropriate Force skill. I would like to give my players cool powers without completely throwing off the balance between Force sensitive PCs and those without Force skills. I'd also like to have some rules on my side of the screen for NPCs that I can extend to the PCs if appropriate in the course of play.

These seem to work so far but neither I nor my players have a huge depth of experience in the system so any feedback is welcome, especially in regards to the difficulty numbers.

CONTROL POWERS

Inherent Ability: Whenever a character with the control skill uses a lightsaber, they add their control skill dice to the damage code when they hit.

ABSORB/DISSIPATE ENERGY
Difficulty: Medium + the damage roll
Effect: The user absorbs or dissipates energy damage instead of being injured.

BURST OF SPEED
Difficulty: Easy
Effect: The user’s movement rate is doubled for 1 round. If the roll exceeds the difficulty number by more than 10, the user’s movement rate is tripled instead.

FORCE CAMOUFLAGE*
This power may be kept up.
Effect: The user adds half their control dice, rounded down, to their sneak skill.

FORCE JUMP
Effect: The user adds their control dice to their jump skill and may jump up to 10 meters in any direction without taking falling damage.

SENSE POWERS

Inherent Ability: Whenever a character with the sense skill uses a lightsaber to parry in hand-to-hand combat, they may use either their sense skill or their melee parry skill.

Inherent Ability: A character with the sense skill may use a lightsaber to parry blaster bolts. They roll their sense skill and add the result to the attacker's difficulty number. Melee parry cannot be used for this purpose.
A character who parries a blaster bolt can try to deflect it toward a specific target as an additional action beyond parrying. The lightsaber wielder makes another sense roll as a new attack roll. Resolve the difficulty number and damage rolls as if the lightsaber wielder had fired the weapon at their intended target.

BEAST LANGUAGES*
Difficulty: Easy (domesticated/friendly beast), Moderate to Difficult (wild, non-predatory beast), Very Difficult to Heroic (ferocious/predatory beast)
Effect: The user translates and “speaks” the target beast’s language. (Most beasts communicate surface emotions with grunts, growls, and other body language cues rather than using “true” languages.)
Subtract 2D from the beast’s orneriness code, if applicable, while this power is in effect (to a minimum of 0D).

FARSEEING
Difficulty: Very Easy (present), Easy (past), or Moderate (future) + Proximity + Relationship
Effect: The user sees in their mind the current situation of the place or person they target. This power can also be used to see the past or future.
A cautionary note is in order: The past and present are set. However, the future is always fluid, always in motion, never set until it becomes the present. It is always subject to change—including from the user’s own actions.

LIFE SENSE
Difficulty: Very Easy + Proximity + Relationship + opposed control roll
Effect: The user can sense the presence and identity of the person for whom they search. The user can also sense how badly wounded, diseased, or otherwise physically disturbed the target is. If the user keeps the power up, they can use it to track a target.

SENSE FORCE
Difficulty: Moderate (general area) or Difficult (details or specific objects) + Proximity
Effect: This power is used to sense the ambient Force within a place. It cannot be used to specifically detect sentient beings. Sense Force will tell a user the rough magnitude of the Force in an area or object, the rough type and quantity of life-forms, and whether the area or object tends toward the dark side or the light. The user may also receive vague premonitions about the area.

SENSE FORCE POTENTIAL*
Difficulty: Moderate + Opposed Perception or control
Effect: The user must keep this power up for at least one minute while being within a few meters of a target to activate the effect.
The user probes the mind of the target to determine whether that person has the potential to be strong in the Force.

TELEPATHY
This power may be kept up (2e: if the target is willing and proximity doesn’t increase).
Difficulty: Easy + Proximity + Relationship + opposed Perception or control roll
Effect: The user can read the target’s surface thoughts and emotions. The user “hears” what the target is thinking but cannot probe for deeper information.
If the skill roll is at least double the difficulty, the user can probe the target’s mind and memories for the information they want.
Additionally, the user may allow the target to “hear” the user’s thoughts and “feel” the user’s emotions. This power is not used to control other minds, but to communicate.
The user can use Telepathy on more than one target at a time, but each additional target counts as an additional action.
Some aliens experience emotions of which humans are incapable, and vice versa, so when used with aliens, the sensations may be difficult to interpret. Telepathy may not be used with Droids.

ALTER POWERS

AFFECT MIND
Difficulty: Very Easy (momentary misperceptions), Moderate (minor hallucination or memory change), Difficult (conclusions important to the target), or Very Difficult (major hallucination or memory change) + Proximity + Opposed Perception or control
Effect: This power is used to:
    • Alter the target’s perceptions, so that they sense an illusion, or fail to see what the user does not want them to see, etc.
    • Alter the target’s memories permanently, so that they remember things incorrectly, or fail to remember.
    • Alter the target’s conclusions, so that they come to an incorrect decision.
Before making the skill roll, the user must describe exactly the intended effect. A target who thinks they are struck by an illusionary object would feel the pain of the blow but does not suffer any true injury. If they think they would be killed, they become unconscious.
The power targets a single character. Two or more targets can only be affected if the power is used two or more times. This power cannot affect droids or recording devices.

DIM ANOTHER’S SENSES*
Difficulty: Easy + Proximity + Opposed Perception or control
Effect: The user reduces the target character’s Perception, all Perception skills, and sense die codes by 2D for as long as the power is kept up. If the roll is more than 10 above the difficulty, reduce all die codes by 3D instead.
This power may be used on more than one target at a time, with an increase of +3 to the difficulty for each additional target. The target with the highest Perception or control rolls for the entire group.

FORCE LIGHTNING*
Warning: A character who uses this power immediately gains a Dark Side Point.
Difficulty: Easy + Opposed Perception or control
Effect: Energy flies from the user’s fingertips to a target they can see causing 1D of energy damage for each 2D of the user’s alter skill, rounded down. Armor provides no protection from this damage.

FORCE PUSH
Difficulty: Moderate + Opposed Strength or control
Effect: The user uses the Force to push a target they can see away by 5 meters and either knocks the target prone or causes them to take 4D physical damage by banging them against a wall or other solid object.
The user may choose before rolling to make a single alter roll for multiple uses of this power on different targets in a single round. Normal multiple action penalties apply.

INFLICT PAIN*
Warning: A character who uses this power immediately receives a Dark Side Point.
Difficulty: Opposed Perception or control + Proximity
Effect: The user causes stun damage based on their alter roll resisted by the difficulty number. If the target suffers any damage at all, they are so crippled by intolerable pain that they are incapable of acting until the end of the next round.

KINETIC COMBAT*
Difficulty: Difficult
Effect: The user may telekinetically wield a melee weapon or lightsaber at a distance up to 10 meters. All skill rolls are treated as if the weapon were in their hands. Multiple action penalties apply.
The first round, the user can make only one attack as they establish control over the weapon.

TELEKINESIS
Difficulty: Very Easy for object up to 1 kilogram plus one level for each factor of ten above that + Proximity + Opposed Perception or control
    Target Mass: Base Difficulty
    ≤1 kg: Very Easy
    1–10 kg: Easy
    11–100 kg: Moderate
    101–1,000 kg: Difficult
    1,001–10,000 kg: Very Difficult
    10,001–100,000 kg: Heroic
Effect: This power can be used to levitate objects, oneself, or others. The target moves as the user desires.
Levitated objects can be used to attack other characters.
This power can also be used as a primitive space drive in emergencies.

TELEKINETIC KILL*
Warning: A character who uses this power immediately receives a Dark Side Point.
Difficulty: Easy (wounded), Difficult (incapacitated), or Heroic (mortally wounded) + Opposed Perception or control + Proximity − Relationship
Effect: The user attempts to telekinetically injure or kill a target. The exact method used can vary. The target suffers the chosen level of injury if the alter roll succeeds.

SPECIAL POWERS

BATTLE MEDITATION*
Difficulty: Varies based on the number of targeted individuals. This roll is made with the user’s lowest Force skill.
    Number of Targets: Difficulty
    1–2: Very Easy
    3–20: Easy
    21–100: Moderate
    101–1,000: Difficult
    1,001–10,000: Very Difficult
    10,000+: Heroic
Effect: The user must keep this power up for at least five minutes to activate the effect. The user must fully concentrate on this power while it is up and cannot move or perform any other actions. Once the power is dropped, the effect wears off instantly.
The user visualizes an immediate goal (rescuing a prisoner, defeating a group of characters, etc.). The tide of battle is altered so that those who seek to uphold and forward the user’s immediate goal are strengthened with a bonus of 2D to an attribute chosen by the user (i.e., Strength, Dexterity, etc.). At the same time, those who seek to oppose the user’s immediate goal are weakened and decrease an attribute of the user’s choosing by 2D (to a minimum of 1D).

FORCE SCREAM*
Note: This is an involuntary power that may be activated when a Dark Jedi loses control of their temper.
Effect: A Dark Jedi must make a Difficult Knowledge roll whenever angered to the point of rage; if the roll fails, the Jedi reflexively releases the Force Scream causing damage equal to the Dark Jedi’s alter skill to all beings within 50 meters, including the Dark Jedi who unleashed this mental energy. Force-sensitive characters roll their alter dice to resist damage (those without the alter skill use Strength).
All of the Dark Jedi’s die codes are reduced by 2D for one hour, and they must rest for one hour or suffer an additional −2D penalty until rested (penalties are cumulative).

Last edited by raithyn on Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Simplified force skills Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for sharing your write-ups!

raithyn wrote:
Inspired by ThrorII's revised Force powers, I have been tinkering with my own set of single-skill powers. There is a strong first edition bias in my list but I have a few second edition powers (often simplified) since I'm playing in the Old Republic.
Note: In first edition, control also adds to lightsaber damage and sense can be used to parry melee attacks and deflect blaster bolts without needing to use a defined Force power.

Question. Your note refers to 1e rules as if this is all for 1e rules and reads as if it was just added for a 2e audience. Are these house rules intended for use with 1e like ThrorII's, or are they suggested modifications for any edition? If 1e (and/or IAG), I'll move this to the 1e forum. If intended for possible use in any edition, then you may want to come out and say what your lightsaber combat rules are in your post because 2e has a lightsaber combat rule (as you refer to by contrast). I would even go beyond saying, "I handle it as in 1e for my 2e game" because a 2e audience may not have access to the 1e rules. Thanks.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
raithyn
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Simplified force skills Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Question. Your note refers to 1e rules as if this is all for 1e rules and reads as if it was just added for a 2e audience. Are these house rules intended for use with 1e like ThrorII's, or are they suggested modifications for any edition?

Good question. I guess I'm still figuring that out. What I'm running now is a pretty strong amalgamation of both 1e and 2e rules pulled from my 30th edition set and REUP. I'm using a limited skill set (mostly 1e with a handful of 2e additions) with no advanced skills or specializations, 1e advancement (can't train abilities), the 2e wild die, 2e combat flow and damage chart, 2e NPC and equipment stats, and generally 1e space combat (mainly because of how little we have of this). Instead of letting players spend character points for bonus dice, I'm using a "destiny pool" that passes dice back and forth between PCs and the GM. (I'll write that up eventually but that's the jist.)

So I guess I'm just running a fully house-ruled game at this point. Any edition label works for me.

Whill wrote:
If intended for possible use in any edition, then you may want to come out and say what your lightsaber combat rules are in your post because 2e has a lightsaber combat rule (as you refer to by contrast). I would even go beyond saying, "I handle it as in 1e for my 2e game" because a 2e audience may not have access to the 1e rules. Thanks.

That's a good call out. I won't have time for a substantial edit where I compare text for a couple days (yay printed books!) but I'll get to it whether this stays here or moves to the 1e forum. I had already considered writing everything up as "passive" powers under control and sense so players can quickly see what advancement in a skill will net them.
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it! Thanks for sharing.

Your rules.
I like them - nice and simple.
Some feel a bit easy - and don't offer any scaling - that is - can a jedi master jump further than a padawan? on Force jump?
I have only given them a quick once over - but like what you have so far.

Q: Were you planning on adding a healing ability of any kind?

What I was working on.
When I was working on my force power overhaul - I had started down this path - and have to say - really like what you have here (Have not had a chance to read each in depth yet....).

My version was slightly different in structure;

Force was an attribute.
Control, sense and Alter were Skills under it.
Force powers were specializations in control sense and alter.

Most powers could not be used without knowing the specialization, but a few could.

Powers that felt like more than one skill (i.e. force combat, etc.) - I was either going to require both to use it, or like you would roll the lower of the two skills or something like that.

Scaling -
I had many of mine scale - VERY SLOWLY - so as not to become too over powered.
But in the force jump example - I would make any value over the difficulty - add 1 more meter.
(or less - depending on what your base difficulty is).
I scaled a lot of them to add more more pip for each difficulty level above what was required.

Hopefully some of my notes may be useful as you continue to work on yours.

I did not finish this project - as about the time I was working on my house rules overhaul - my players wanted to play an all force user campaign, starting during the last days of the clone wars - and while I thought my simplified system would have been find for one or maybe two force users in a party - a full party - I went with something more detailed to help support character differentiation.
(while the rules were written for the rebellion era where jedi were rare - star wars has thousands of years of cool time periods for campaigns to explore....).

Again, thanks for sharing - I do plan on finishing my simplified version, as an optional rule for campaigns that are not filled with jedi....
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Simplified force skills Reply with quote

raithyn wrote:
I guess I'm still figuring that out. What I'm running now is a pretty strong amalgamation of both 1e and 2e rules pulled from my 30th edition set and REUP. I'm using a limited skill set (mostly 1e with a handful of 2e additions) with no advanced skills or specializations, 1e advancement (can't train abilities), the 2e wild die, 2e combat flow and damage chart, 2e NPC and equipment stats, and generally 1e space combat (mainly because of how little we have of this). Instead of letting players spend character points for bonus dice, I'm using a "destiny pool" that passes dice back and forth between PCs and the GM. (I'll write that up eventually but that's the jist.)

So I guess I'm just running a fully house-ruled game at this point. Any edition label works for me.

...I'll get to it whether this stays here or moves to the 1e forum.

If your game system is hybrid house system, then your post can stay here. But I would still suggest you share your lightsaber combat rules here, even if it is mostly just porting 1e's basic premise for how the stats are used.

WEG defined edition by game stats. (Maybe this is a common standard in the industry at large, not sure.) The two rules revisions to 1e could use the same published stats interchangeably. 2e's revisions to the rules required some new stats so it is its own edition. R&E made some significant revisions to the Blue Vader 2e rules (like combat and movement) but again, the stats could be used interchangeably so it is under the 2e umbrella. IAG had some stat differences to both editions.

My personal house system has some different stats so by WEG's standard it would be a different edition. However my house system is primarily based on the R&E ruleset despite taking some inspirations from all versions of the rules and me adding things on top.

Everywhere on this board except the 1e/IAG forum, 2e is considered the default edition, and R&E is the default version of 2e, unless specified otherwise.

Quote:
2e combat flow and damage chart

Combat is significantly different in Blue Vader 2e and 2eR&E, so it would help to clarify which. REUP is a slightly revised (and extremely expanded) version of R&E, so I presume that is the version of 2e combat you use. The damage chart is different in R&E too, because that is when they added Wounded Twice to the chart.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
raithyn
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Simplified force skills Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
If your game system is hybrid house system, then your post can stay here. But I would still suggest you share your lightsaber combat rules here, even if it is mostly just porting 1e's basic premise for how the stats are used.

Done. Thanks, Whill! The more I consider this, the more certain I am that the Force power rules are almost fully modular compared to the rest of the game. I think this system can work with any combination of 1e and 2e rules--by which I do mean the 30th Anniversary box set and the REUP pdf since those are what I have. I did a little reading on your threads with summaries of the changes from edition to edition and I just have the end points.

pakman wrote:
I like them - nice and simple.
Some feel a bit easy - and don't offer any scaling - that is - can a jedi master jump further than a padawan? on Force jump?
I have only given them a quick once over - but like what you have so far.

Q: Were you planning on adding a healing ability of any kind?

Thanks! I'm mainly running one shots and, er, two shots so I haven't had to deal with scaling or significant player advancement. (Part of why I don't allow ability improvements--it's just not worth them spending their few points on that.) I'll have to think through that question more. I think I straight stole the two abilities you call out from ThrorII's list. There may be a few tweaks since I tried to take the general philosophy and restart with the source power instead of just stealing.

As to healing, maybe eventually? I feel like that imbalances the game a bit more unless I include some form of resource management. I don't have a good enough feel for the system yet to be confident in doing that.

Adding healing also requires committing to a philosophy on what healing means. Is it free restoration or does it require stealing life from one creature (potentially including the user) to give to the target? Is it light, dark, or neutral? These questions have been answered differently across a bunch of EU sources even before I pointedly ignore that RoS exists and my players have seen it.

I don't necessarily see this list as limiting. I want to hand out player aids so new players know what to expect but anything my players ask to try with the Force will use these powers as the basis for any GM ruling I make at the table. If they want to repeat a new power more than once or twice and it makes sense to allow that, then I'll formalize the rules with them accordingly.

pakman wrote:
Hopefully some of my notes may be useful as you continue to work on yours.

They are indeed useful. I started with the idea that each power would be it's own skill under a single Force attribute but couldn't see a good way to incorporate the passive lightsaber buffs. I'd love to see the final version once you write it up.
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Simplified force skills Reply with quote

raithyn wrote:

They are indeed useful. I started with the idea that each power would be it's own skill under a single Force attribute but couldn't see a good way to incorporate the passive lightsaber buffs. I'd love to see the final version once you write it up.

Sounds great.

I won't be finishing mine anytime soon (my simplified versions are an optional rule in my house rules re-write) but it would be a slimmer version of my current version of light-saber combat, which I renamed "Force Combat" - as not all force users are jedi...

Force Combat
This power may be kept up
Difficulty: Control DL3: Moderate.

Description: By embracing the flow of the Force, a Force user can enhance their combat capabilities. Various traditions use everything from lightsabers to starfighters or even bo-sticks.

Effects: Success Grants the benefits below.

* Attack rolls - (melee attack, gunnery, etc.) add +1 pip for each D of control skill bonus.
* Defense rolls - (dodge, parry, etc.) add +1 pip for each D of Sense skill bonus.
* Deflect - (holding an object that can deflect blaster shots) add +1 pip for each D of a Sense Bonus - this is a PASSIVE COVER BONUS.
* Reflect: Use Control as a reaction to make a ranged attack roll if a deflected shot missed.

With an additional plus +1 pip, for each difficultly level the skill would have met.
(the base difficulty is DL3: Moderate - if they would have rolled well enough to get DL4:Difficult, increase the bonus +1 pip).

Deflect furthur detail - gives a passive cover bonus - no roll - this just represents the benefit of having a lightsaber in hand (or Kilian gauntlet etc...) and the force telling you where to hold it...

Reflect: The base to hit number is how much a shot missed by. I use pistol range modifiers for the return shot.
Must have an appropriate object to reflect (like a lightsaber - but there are a few other items in star wars lore).

A FEW NOTES:
Sense: If they don't have sense - they don't get the sense bonuses.
(In my full rules - having both sense and control of at least 2D is required to try it).

Keeping it up: Yes, due to the need to be kept up (-1D to all actions) - you need at least 3D in Control and Sense for this to be worth while.

Easy to Use? Some will point out this is much easier to do - that was intentional....but...

Power Scaling: The bonuses are much lower - a 3D skill only nets a +1D bonus - and scale much slower - a 9D in control is only a +3D bonus etc. This allows the ability to be accessed by much lower skilled force users - but it is not overpowered along the way.

Most of my force powers are EASIER to use (lower difficulties) but have much less power - almost all of them only give 1pip bonus per die, instead of a full die. Again, this was done for accessibility and power scaling.

All Combat: Yes, this was intentional. Not only to support other force traditions - but to represent a jedi pilot using the force to help them in space combat etc. With the bonuses being small - this helps not break anything.

Beating a difficulty level - almost everything in my house rules uses the concept of if you roll above the difficulty, you get a SMALL bonus. Basically an extra pip bouns, for each higher difficultly level the roll would have met.
I have seen a lot of things like that in other house rules (dividing by 5 etc.) - but to avoid any math - just see if the roll would have hit the next difficulty level. Easy Peasy. Now, also in my game - I standardized my difficulty levles - they are 5 each - so makes it even easier.... Super Easy Peasy...
(note - this concept exists in later versions of d6 as well - called "result points" etc.).

Hopefully you can gleam some ideas from this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: