The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

AI Art
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Artwork -> AI Art
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebertran
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:09 am    Post subject: AI Art Reply with quote

Does The Rancor Pit have an official stance on AI art posted oj the site?
I am fine using AI art, it is what it is, the genie is out of the bottle, but a lot of people have ethical concerns about it, and I want to gauge what the feel for it is here before I post AI stuff.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am unsure of the Pit's official stance. As an artist I have mixed feelings on it. I would love to have ready access to AI tools to use, though I would likely not use the results as generated. I had long joked with friends that "I need a computer I can just describe my ideas to and have it done." and here we are. So I recognize it's potential. I think most of the ethical concerns are related to the fact that AI is trained by "feeding" it other peoples art, sometimes without the artists consent - and I also agree this is not a good thing for mass use. For private use, if I had the skill and ability to build up and train an AI on my own work to generate works in my style from my prompts, that would be truly fantastic.

As Star Wars is a property owned by large companies, I am unsure if AI art would be considered Fan Art. I feel it should be acceptable if it is free for community use, with attribution, as Fan Art generated by AI.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: AI Art Reply with quote

Thank you.

ebertran wrote:
Does The Rancor Pit have an official stance on AI art posted oj the site?
I am fine using AI art, it is what it is, the genie is out of the bottle, but a lot of people have ethical concerns about it, and I want to gauge what the feel for it is here before I post AI stuff.

No, there is no official stance or guidelines on AI Art. Art in general isn't really shared here much. A lot of posts about general Star Wars AI art would feel spammy, so I would hope that any art shared is applicable to the RPG.

It is a common courtesy to give credit to the creators of things shared here (art and otherwise), so when sharing AI art I would think sharing as much info about the source and programming parameters as possible would be relevant.

I haven't looked into the issue of AI art much, but aren't the ethical concerns mostly around ownership and payment? Those don't seem to impact us here much. AI Star Wars art should not be sold here, even if it is is game related.

If the ethical concern about AI art causing the rise of the machines, I don't have any reason to think that sharing it here is going to lead to that happening.

Does anyone else have insight or opinions on AI art in general or being shared here? Thanks.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got some professional artist friends who are quite upset about the outright theft of art that's happening (in their opinion).

It is neat what can be generated, but it is a sticky wicket as far as the ethics.

On a somewhat related topic, many of the creators of AI and the smartest computer minds have issued very dire concerns about what AI could eventually do to be an existential threat to humanity.
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TLDR VERSION:

I am fine with AI assisted or generated content shared here for personal gaming use, it would be nice of course if folks could share how it was involved.
Especially as a resource for other gamers.

Longer Version:
Personally I have very mixed feelings here.
(as both a gamer with no visual art skills, but also as a content creator: actor, comedian and writer - sketch,stand up and one acts).

For personal use - I think AI tools are fine - but for commercial use - no.

I cut the rest of my resonse here - as it brings up a lot of issues that are not relevant to this forum, and can get very deep - and messy quickly (DougRed4's "sticky wicket" excellent metaphor).
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to share this video here as I think it is very relevant to some of the discussion around AI that has been mentioned. It is not specific to Star Wars or West End Games, I am hoping it will still be allowable as I find it very informative and interesting. I shared this video a few weeks ago on one of the 3D art sites I am still active in (previously a 3D content brokerage that merged with another website) where some of the users discuss and experiment with new technology as well as share ideas and methods for tools we use. I found this following video very interesting in it's theories and applications - and the discussion of the experimentation and work needed to not only custom train the AI to get the results they wanted, but post work to create a unified look. Of course, since it involves using AI to make animation there are lots of "reaction" videos calling this offensive, laxy, worthless, etc... I would strongly disagree with those. I have yet to watch the animated clip they made and discuss here, but this makes me wish I had access to the diffusion tools (none of my machines are able to use them). To convert my videos to toon style I still need to do it with batch scripts in a graphic processor (and I lost the scripts I had been making in a HD corruption last year). I find the workflow discussed amazing and that it is possible for end users to self train an AI on selected bodies of work (even limiting it to their own works) gives me all sorts of intriguing ideas.

Video to Anime using AI

I realize AI may not be for everyone, and not everyone may like the ideas even presented in this video. I am presenting it for informative and educational consideration and a behind the scenes look at some of the uses of AI showing it is not really as simple as just typing in a prompt in some cases.
jtanzer
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This also speaks to a larger problem: the artists aren't that good. That's why AI appears to be better than humans, it's competing against lazy humans.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried one of those AI picture generators and lets just say the result was ......ODD
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it my imagination or do all of the onlookers resemble Qui Gon?
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the propotions of Rey's head OMG

yes Qui Gon likes to watch
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Artwork All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: