The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

E4 Baron Droid
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> E4 Baron Droid
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:04 am    Post subject: E4 Baron Droid Reply with quote

Quote:
E4 Baron Droid
Hulking battle droids used by the Trade Federation. Baktoid Combat Automata developed the experimental baron droid as an all-purpose security unit capable of impressive feats of strength. Their plating is made of Arcetron, a heavy metal. It can track an opponent with motion, heat, energy, and sonic detectors. Visual stimuli is processed through the droid's single photoreceptor, which can be used as a blinding spotlight to identify and track its targets. They are equipped with two dual repeating blaster cannons mounted on their arms. The baron droid lacks personal energy shields, allowing them to be quickly disabled with multiple hits from a blaster rifle, or a well-aimed lightsaber slash. In addition, their movement is loud and slow. They can also function for extended periods without a direct connection to a Central Control Computer.

E4 Baron Droid
Model: Baktoid Combat Automata E4 Battle Droid
Type: Security droid
DEXTERITY 2D
Blaster 2D, blaster: rifle 3D
KNOWLEDGE 1D
MECHANICAL 1D
PERCEPTION 1D
Search 2d
STRENGTH 2D
Brawling 3D, lifting 8D
TECHNICAL 1D
Equipped With:
-- Humanoid body (two arms, two legs, head)
-- Mono-Photoreceptor (spotlight up to 100 meters, +2D to overcome night vision based negative modifier)
-- Remote receiver (5,000 km range, can function 10 hours without direct connection to a Central Control Computer)
-- Sensor Array (motion, heat, energy, and sonic, +1D to search up to 50 meters)
-- Two dual built-in repeating blaster cannons (5D damage, range: 3-30/100/300)
-- Armor (+1D modifier to resist damage)
Move: 6
Size: 2.4 meters
Cost: 3,800
Availability: 3
Personality Matrix: None
Degree: 4th
Appearance: Star Wars: Obi-Wan (Game)
Source: Emperor Ollie

http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter

Last edited by shootingwomprats on Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in interesting...

Question - sounds like the folks in the obi-wan game did not match the art with the description....

But what value is a droid that is capable of great feats of strength - it if has no arms/hands/blades/manipulators to use that strength?

Or is that just an oddity of the art work not matching the description?
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:
Question - sounds like the folks in the obi-wan game did not match the art with the description....

No idea I did not play the game.

pakman wrote:
But what value is a droid that is capable of great feats of strength - it if has no arms/hands/blades/manipulators to use that strength?

Hands I don't think matter except in the case of manipulation. No-handed droids can still carry stuff on the forearms, carry heavy loads, maybe lift a door, at the very least hold it open using the skill in place of a Strength check.

pakman wrote:

I think the description is okay. As it applies to game mechanics, best to approach its application in the spirit of the write-up, perhaps not exclusionary to the letter of the rules.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:
in interesting...

Add to that, how is it 'great feats of strength' to only have a 2d+2 str, and 3d brawl. Also for something with essentially Quad lasers (two pairs), with only 3d blaster, its barely going to hit anything if it shoots both at the same time.

IMO it needs to have at least 4d+2 or better yet 5d blaster.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Feats of strength does no necessarily mean ability to punch hard or take a lot of damage but Lifting 8D sure does. On average roll that is 500kg/1,102 lbs. and if they roll2 higher can lift 750 kg/1,653 lbs. As wookiees have a racial cap of 6D, this actually makes the E4 in situations involving heavy things a +2D advantage.

garhkal wrote:
pakman wrote:

Add to that, how is it 'great feats of strength' to only have a 2d+2 str, and 3d brawl. Also for something with essentially Quad lasers (two pairs), with only 3d blaster, its barely going to hit anything if it shoots both at the same time.

Feats of strength do not equate to brawling ability. The fact it has Strength 2D and 1D or armor, gives it better than average ability to soak damage and still take 2-3 blows before being destroyed.

garhkal wrote:
IMO it needs to have at least 4d+2 or better yet 5d blaster.

As for blaster skill. These were built shortly after the Gen1 B1s and well before the B2. The B1s as of the Invasion of Theed have blaster 2D. The B2s have blaster 3D, blaster: rifle 4D. It makes sense that the precursor to the B2, developed at the same time as the B1s would be on par with those and les powerful than the future version. At best, split the difference between the Gen1 B1 and B2, no higher than 3D+1 or +2, which is not much of a difference.

I would also point out that as the E4 only has blaster cannons the blaster 2D is pretty much useless other than as a prerequisite for the blaster: rifle specialization, which is 3D and better than the Gen1 B1s and on par with future Gen2 B1s and 1D less than the superior B2.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:

Feats of strength do not equate to brawling ability. The fact it has Strength 2D and 1D or armor, gives it better than average ability to soak damage and still take 2-3 blows before being destroyed.

Not when even the average PISTOL is doing one more die of damage, than it can soak...

shootingwomprats wrote:

As for blaster skill. These were built shortly after the Gen1 B1s and well before the B2. The B1s as of the Invasion of Theed have blaster 2D. The B2s have blaster 3D, blaster: rifle 4D. It makes sense that the precursor to the B2, developed at the same time as the B1s would be on par with those and les powerful than the future version. At best, split the difference between the Gen1 B1 and B2, no higher than 3D+1 or +2, which is not much of a difference.

I would also point out that as the E4 only has blaster cannons the blaster 2D is pretty much useless other than as a prerequisite for the blaster: rifle specialization, which is 3D and better than the Gen1 B1s and on par with future Gen2 B1s and 1D less than the superior B2.

Which is something i've often criticized.. WHY IS a security droid, having such sucky stats, to where it barely can do it, even against a lone street punk with 3d in their dodge?
AT a min, to me, all 'security droids', should be at LEAST as good as a "professional" which is 4d or higher.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, the most glaring issue I have with the stats is that the droid has special sensors that grant a +1D to search, but has no Search skill, so it can not use these. I think it needs a search skill to justify having such sensors, unless it is meant to only be rolling 1D (the sensors) - and I do not see it succeeding at finding anything that way.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
For me, the most glaring issue I have with the stats is that the droid has special sensors that grant a +1D to search, but has no Search skill, so it can not use these. I think it needs a search skill to justify having such sensors, unless it is meant to only be rolling 1D (the sensors) - and I do not see it succeeding at finding anything that way.

I think the rule is if a character is performing a skill he has no dice in, he uses the attribute associated with the skill instead. In this case, the droid would use Perception, and maybe the +1D bonus applies to Perception when using it in place of the search skill.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:
KageRyu wrote:

I think the rule is if a character is performing a skill he has no dice in, he uses the attribute associated with the skill instead. In this case, the droid would use Perception, and maybe the +1D bonus applies to Perception when using it in place of the search skill.

Not droids. If a droid does not have a skill die code, it is not programmed for the task and can not perform it.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:
KageRyu wrote:

As KageRyu says, droids need the skill to perform the task. ITs a benefit of 'humanity' (meaning sentient living folks) to be able to default. Droids are most often seen as equipment/gear.. SO don't get that benefit.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
The B1s as of the Invasion of Theed have blaster 2D. The B2s have blaster 3D, blaster: rifle 4D.

B1s and B2s were never officially statted by WEG. Which fan stat source(s) are you citing as an authority here?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
shootingwomprats wrote:
The B1s as of the Invasion of Theed have blaster 2D. The B2s have blaster 3D, blaster: rifle 4D.

B1s and B2s were never officially statted by WEG. Which fan stat source(s) are you citing as an authority here?

Droids Stats and Saga D6 Conversion: The Clone Wars
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:09 pm    Post subject: Appearance: Star Wars: Obi-Wan (Game) Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Appearance: Star Wars: Obi-Wan (Game)

I have that game - i haven't really played it since i got it in a package deal, with KotOR I & II, JKIII. You can which ones i played, LOL...

i should try playing it a bit this weekend, if i can, see what these droids are like in action.
Bounty Hunting is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Game Mastering is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Count Dooku: Your swords, please. We don't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: