The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Don't steep in the hyperdrive, you'll track it everywhere
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Don't steep in the hyperdrive, you'll track it everywhere Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hyperdrive backup was something that drove me bonkers. It seemed that the maker of the engine is saying our hyperdrives are not that dependable you,ll need a backup. But I see the reason for the backup, and I always thought that the backup hyperdrive was like an undersized spare tire that you couldn't use for very long. And the backup is a lot slower the the main drives.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly the hyperdrive was leaking hyper. Any sustained flight would have exposed the crew and passengers to near-lethal levels of hyper, and given the occupants of the ship severe cases of adult ADHD (except for Padme. She was only 14, so she gets the old fashioned stuff.)

Seriously, though, when I heard that, I took it as a radiation leak of some form. Either the drive couldn't build up enough concentration of energy to operate, or normal operation would kill everyone aboard. Maybe both.

Complete Starship Construction System
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the issue of something leaking from the hyperdrive could be any number of things. The dialog "the hyperdrive is leaking" leaves much to be desired.
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry about the pause I had to fix lunch. When I first heard the line "the hyperdrive is leaking," the image of the a piece of machinery squirting a fluid a over the maintenance bay below decks that someone would have to clean up. It seem to be more of an inconvenience than a dire problem that could destroy the ship. I have really enjoyed this topic. Thanks everyone for the input.
Darth_Hilarious
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont remember where i read it but Tibanna gas has been used as a hyperdrive coolant Very Happy dont want tibanna gas leaking anywhere it can come into contact with a blaster discharge ....BOOM hey where did he go ??

Revenge is beneath me , but accidents DO happen .
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB 2.0 wrote:
Who said it was leaking fluid?, perhaps the shielding was compromised and they where building up Rads.

Ditto. Who said it was leaking any liquids?

atgxtg wrote:
Oh, and maybe the leaking hyperdrive wasn't usable at all, and they limped to nearby Tatooine using a backup hyperdrive? So it might not been a question of "where can we get to before the drive conks out?" but a question of "where can we get to in a reasonable amount of time using our backup drive?"

And I've read that backup hyperdrives also have a limited range (before they stop working and need re-serviced or replaced), so maybe Tatooine was in range but the Core Worlds were not. But since backup hyperdrives are so slow, I guess time could have been a factor too. Limp somewhere safe that is closer because the sooner you can get the new part is the sooner you have full lightspeed capability.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It leaking fluid was the first thing to come to mind. I have had plenty of cars in the past that would have the mysterious puddle under them when I needed to get somewhere. This was just another time of personal experience trumping the narrative, I think there is a term for that.
DB 2.0
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My family runs trucks, so my hit list is Fluids, Gas and as a kid I had a neighbor who was in what today we call "Medical Imaging" and an other who was in Construction Cirtifaction, couple that with 30 years of Sic-fi gaming and the mind runs to Rads as well.

also think of this perhaps it's not stuff leaking out but something leaking in, if you get a "Reactive" in to a sealed system and a vulnerable pure element or compound starts to corrode changing it's properties. or something that is adversely effected by background rads.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to wookieepedia, the hyperdrive was "leaking" power.

Now to me, that sounds like some sort of shielding and or electrical fault. If some of the wiring got damaged in the battle (quite likely), then some insulation could be compromised and a partial short circuit occur that still let the driver work, but "leak" power to somewhere else.

Such a fault could actually snowball, as the short would draw more current which would further damage the insulation, thus increasing the severity of the short, thus drawing even more current and so on, until either the system gives out, or the shorted current damaged something else, or starts a fire.

The desire to land, and land quickly would make a great deal of sense under that situation. The sooner you land, the less severe the damage, and the easier it would be to repair.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: