The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

WEG RPGs?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> WEG RPGs? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expensive? Try $3,210.80 and up on Amazon. Yeah, I don't want a copy that bad. Easy to see why it's not available in other formats, too.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, OHIO, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Expensive? Try $3,210.80 and up on Amazon. Yeah, I don't want a copy that bad.

No one is going to buy that. Even rich people have better things to spend $3200 on. I paid about 1% of that price for my copy!
Registration & Log-In Help
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

No one is going to buy that. Even rich people have better things to spend $3200 on. I paid about 1% of that price for my copy!

Even more ironic: the seller's name is Half Price Books.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, OHIO, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

Even more ironic: the seller's name is Half Price Books.

I have several HPBs in my city and visit one of them almost monthly. I've noticed that since TFA was about to come out, employees of Half-Price Books recategorized WEG Star Wars books from out-of-print books for an old game to collectible. I have several copies of R&E floating around my house, and I have given a few more away as gifts. It had a $30 retail price, and I only paid that for my original new copy I bought in 1996. Every other copy came from HPB for no more than $14.98. At least one of them had that original half-price and a markdown sticker over that for $9.98. And some of these may have been bought with coupons or during special sales for up to 50% off their price sticker.

In 2015 these started seeing these with a $50 price at HPB and I stopped buying them. Not that all players of the game come to the Pit, but here were are certainly in the position to see a trend of an sudden renaissance of people getting into WEG SW. Sure, there have been a handful. FFG's Star Wars RPG is the third top selling RPG in the world (behind D&D and Pathfinder), so they are obviously getting a lot of SW RPG business from the Disney franchise. It really pisses me off that Half-Price Books thinks it is ok to charge $50 for R&E. It drives people to illegal bootlegs. But even if the books sits on the shelf for a lot longer, someone must be eventually paying $50 so they feel they are justified for putting that price on it.

I bought my copy of IJ Adventures a few months after Kingdom of the Crystal Skull came out and it wasn't $3000. Unlike R&E, IJ Adventures probably is a true rarity. It probably had no reprints so whatever is out there is from the original printing of it. There were only a couple WEG IJ products released after it (back to the masterbook system) so the game probably didn't sell well. A simple reality of this day and age is that brink and mortar stores are experiencing a lot of competition with online sales. I know that when I am in a store, I get out my phone and look for online prices to compare. This ebay listing may be just a scheme to sell in-store copies for a steep price because whatever price they put on it will look very favorable to a $3200 price online.
Registration & Log-In Help
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: