The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars: Resistance
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Star Wars: Resistance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Star Wars: Resistance Reply with quote

Original announcement thread

I watched the pilot episode of Resistance and was... underwhelmed. I really didn't find it nearly as entertaining or compelling as the first episode of Rebels, however I'm going to save my full judgement until after I watch the next couple episodes that are available to stream.
Pel
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's unfortunate. The animated Star Wars has been pretty good this century so hopefully it's just a slow start.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason Disney does not want me to watch the 2nd and 3rd episodes, so I suppose I'll just have to settle for being left with my initial impression of: Meh...
RyanDarkstar
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the first three episodes and found it lacking. It's definitely going the sloooow burn route and is completely geared toward kids (who I know are the targeted demographic). Many of the characters, particularly the main protagonist Kaz, irritated me fairly quickly and often, though it could just be because I'm a grump-@$$.

It's a shame, though, since I enjoyed Rebels right from the start, as it closely resembled what I saw as an RPG campaign come-to-life featuring: a failed Jedi, a brash pilot, a kid/young Jedi, a "Wookiee"-type, a bounty hunter, and a droid PC. And they flew around in a dilapidated freighter, to boot! The adventures started off small and grew grander as the characters became stronger, culminating in the liberation of Lothal from the Empire. Sure there were the occasional off show and WTH-moments, but I enjoyed the show much more than TCW. To be fair, I'm probably biased as Star Wars was the first movie I saw when I four.

I really am hoping Resistance gets better. The station setup screams DS9, which isn't a bad thing. It's a big place with plenty adventure awaiting, whether planetside or beyond.
Solo4114
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, if you watched The Clone Wars from the start (including the movie), you'd probably feel the same. I got into the Clone Wars mostly at the recommendation of people who knew I enjoyed Rebels. Fortunately, they warned me that the first season and a half are slow, but after that it really takes off. Still, it was...difficult...getting through that initial hurdle, and even so, I still don't find it quite as engaging as other animated shows of a similar milieu (e.g., various Gundam series like Z Gundam and the original 0079). But I'm familiar with slow-burn animated series and how they can build gradually towards a thrilling conclusion (e.g., Space Battleship Yamato, Gundam 0079). Most shows get better over time, I find. Hopefully, this will, too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: