The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Artillery.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Artillery. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some thoughts on the Minefield Artillery Shell. One of my references on artillery leading into this project was Renegade Legion, which uses a hex map for vehicle combat, and actually has rules for artillery-delivered and vehicle deployed minefields.

Now, in their system, a minefield occupies an entire map hex, which is 200 meters in diameter. So what I'm thinking is this:

-A Minefield Shell creates a minefield in a 100-meter radius around the point of impact.

-Because the shot is not targeted at an individual, but rather a point on a map, there is no Scale modifier.

-On a failed Gunnery roll, the Minefield is still deployed, but deviates 10 meters from the aim point for every point of Miss (using the Grenade Scatter diagram to determine direction).

-If an enemy is able to use Sensors to track artillery shells, they will be able to identify Minefield Shells in flight and identify where the minefield is deployed. As such, Minefield Shells are generally used as a stop-gap, to either delay or block enemy forces while more robust minefields are deployed at ground level, or to harass and ambush units with no way to detect the shells in flight.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of mines would be deployed? Standard pressure detection/detonation AP mines? Grav mines for repulsor vehicles (if so, i can see the area of deployment being a lot less than a 100 meter radius, may 60 meter).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
What sort of mines would be deployed? Standard pressure detection/detonation AP mines? Grav mines for repulsor vehicles (if so, i can see the area of deployment being a lot less than a 100 meter radius, may 60 meter).

For simplicity's sake, I'd make it a mix of light dual-purpose mines (anti-personnel & anti-speeder) and a smaller number of heavier anti-walker / anti-armor mines. Having them be spread uniformly across the target area simplifies things from a perspective of gaming the effects of the minefield itself. The result is that anything that enters the minefield (whether a character on foot, a ground vehicle or a walker) takes the same effect at or near their Scale.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21
Page 21 of 21

Jump to: