The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Layoffs in FFG RPG department
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games -> Layoffs in FFG RPG department Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
TauntaunScout
Captain
Captain


Joined: 20 Apr 2015
Posts: 597

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: FFG SW vs Genesys Reply with quote

Scots Dragon wrote:


The biggest differences are that careers now no longer have specialisations,


Not if your career was in RPG development for Fantasy Flight Games, it can't.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 6510
Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: FFG SW vs Genesys Reply with quote

LOL TS. True, but I think they actually do still have different jobs with FFG or jobs the new company the game is transferring to. The may be freelance now but the work is still there, for the time being.

Scots Dragon wrote:
The biggest differences are that careers now no longer have specialisations, with the talents arranged into five tiers, being available to any character and being bought through a 'talent pyramid', where you need a certain number of lower-tier talents to start taking higher-tier talents.

Thanks for the info. When you say careers, specializations, and talents, I hear classes, subclasses, and feats. Wink

Scots Dragon wrote:
Characters also define their motivations in four parts, defining a Desire, Fear, Strength, and Flaw, which is more complex than the more basic motiations of the FFG system. These can cause situational bonuses or penalties to various social rolls when trying to interact with characters. Usually strengths and flaws result in adding a one-die setback or boost, depending on how it's used, while desires and fears result in a two-dice setback or boost.

That part might be worth stealing.

Stealing for FFG SW, or for SW D6?
_________________
*
Site Map
Forum Guidelines
Registration & Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Scots Dragon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander


Joined: 03 Mar 2017
Posts: 118
Location: A Wee Rainy Island

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: FFG SW vs Genesys Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Scots Dragon wrote:
The biggest differences are that careers now no longer have specialisations, with the talents arranged into five tiers, being available to any character and being bought through a 'talent pyramid', where you need a certain number of lower-tier talents to start taking higher-tier talents.

Thanks for the info. When you say careers, specializations, and talents, I hear classes, subclasses, and feats. Wink


I try not to paint everything with the d20 brush. Though yeah, it totally is a classes, subclasses, and feats situation, though you can take more than one subclass (and can even take subclasses from other classes) pretty easily, which is a mitigating factor.

Whill wrote:
Scots Dragon wrote:
Characters also define their motivations in four parts, defining a Desire, Fear, Strength, and Flaw, which is more complex than the more basic motiations of the FFG system. These can cause situational bonuses or penalties to various social rolls when trying to interact with characters. Usually strengths and flaws result in adding a one-die setback or boost, depending on how it's used, while desires and fears result in a two-dice setback or boost.

That part might be worth stealing.

Stealing for FFG SW, or for SW D6?


Star Wars D6. I literally only ever look at the FFG books for art and lore ideas, since the books are good for those, but the ruleset itself is kinda s***.

Some of the social and storytelling stuff, though? I might keep that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 6510
Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: FFG SW vs Genesys Reply with quote

Scots Dragon wrote:
I try not to paint everything with the d20 brush. Though yeah, it totally is a classes, subclasses, and feats situation, though you can take more than one subclass (and can even take subclasses from other classes) pretty easily, which is a mitigating factor.

I don't paint everything with a d20 brush. FFG made a game with classes and feats, and then painted over it by calling them something different. I'm just calling it by what it really is. But a more direct way of saying what I mean is, I hate game systems with classes and feats no matter what you call them.

I do thank you for informing me of the history of the FFG Star Wars game system. I had thought that when FFG got the SW license, they just took some basic concepts from d20 and said, "Let's make a system that is way crunchier than d20 but less nuanced, that requires special dice to play, and divide up the character options and playable species to require people to buy many overpriced hardcover books." Now I know FFG based the SW system on Warhammer. But still, a lot of games use classes and it all goes back to D&D that did it first.

I was planning my next AD&D (1e) campaign for an original game world I was creating for it when I got the first two Star Wars 1e books in the Fall of 1987. As soon as I read it, I junked my D&D campaign/world and started planning my first SW campaign. The skill-based system of the D6 mechanics was a breath of fresh air. I've played AD&D 2e, and D&D 3e (and 3.5), but I haven't even once DMed any version of D&D since before WEG SW first came out.

Scots Dragon wrote:
Star Wars D6. I literally only ever look at the FFG books for art and lore ideas, since the books are good for those, but the ruleset itself is kinda s***.

Some of the social and storytelling stuff, though? I might keep that.

I completely agree. The rules are poodu but art is great, and there is a lot of fluff. The art and fluff are the only reasons I even have those books.
_________________
*
Site Map
Forum Guidelines
Registration & Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Scots Dragon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander


Joined: 03 Mar 2017
Posts: 118
Location: A Wee Rainy Island

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: FFG SW vs Genesys Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I don't paint everything with a d20 brush. FFG made a game with classes and feats, and then painted over it by calling them something different. I'm just calling it by what it really is. But a more direct way of saying what I mean is, I hate game systems with classes and feats no matter what you call them.

I do thank you for informing me of the history of the FFG Star Wars game system. I had thought that when FFG got the SW license, they just took some basic concepts from d20 and said, "Let's make a system that is way crunchier than d20 but less nuanced, that requires special dice to play, and divide up the character options and playable species to require people to buy many overpriced hardcover books." Now I know FFG based the SW system on Warhammer. But still, a lot of games use classes and it all goes back to D&D that did it first.

I was planning my next AD&D (1e) campaign for an original game world I was creating for it when I got the first two Star Wars 1e books in the Fall of 1987. As soon as I read it, I junked my D&D campaign/world and started planning my first SW campaign. The skill-based system of the D6 mechanics was a breath of fresh air. I've played AD&D 2e, and D&D 3e (and 3.5), but I haven't even once DMed any version of D&D since before WEG SW first came out.


I feel like D&D does still work on its own merits, though largely for D&D and for very little else. Probably the best thing that actually did come out of the D&D and d20 system was the very heavily modified version Green Ronin made for their Mutants & Masterminds game. Which is one of those systems I tend to swear by.

It ditches classes and levels, but keeps feats (or advantages) as something you can buy using the pool of power points you're given during character creation. They're way less intrusive than the actual feats or talents of something like the FFG or d20 system. Basically the main thing that's kept in place which would earn it the moniker of even being d20 based is the dice roll resolution system of roll d20, plus modifiers, versus target number.

Outside of that it's pretty radically different, with even the things that are definitely kept being changed up a whole lot.

As for my own background with D6, I'm afraid I wound up discovering it somewhat later, towards the late period when Wizards of the Coast was putting out the d20 version. Mostly because I didn't actually exist yet in 1987. >.>

Quote:
I completely agree. The rules are poodu but art is great, and there is a lot of fluff. The art and fluff are the only reasons I even have those books.


Though honestly, while the fluff itself does have some stand-outs, most of the time I actually default to the D6 books on that front because the Imperial Sourcebook and Rebel Alliance Sourcebook should still be the main rulebooks for how to write and portray those factions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 6510
Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: FFG SW vs Genesys Reply with quote

You weren't wrong to call me out for my anti-d20 bias. I am an unapologetic D6 grognard. But, I do own a handful of books of the first two editions of WotC's SW RPG, and just about the entire line of SAGA edition. I actually did play SAGA edition once, and due to a very good GM (not the game system), I actually had a pretty good time. But I've also played FFG EotE for one adventure and disliked the game system. And I ran the FFG AoR beginner game, and disliked it. I didn't ever imagine that any game system could be even worse for Star Wars roleplaying than d20, but FFG proved me wrong.

But back on topic, I am happy for the FFG SW fans that the FFG game will continue with a different company, existing books will be reprinted, and those former FFG employees will have a chance to continue working on the came.

And the best part is, I am not a hater for these other game systems I dislike because the cinematic SW D6 never went any where and we can continue to play it, no matter what happens with the SW RPG license.

Scots Dragon wrote:
As for my own background with D6, I'm afraid I wound up discovering it somewhat later, towards the late period when Wizards of the Coast was putting out the d20 version. Mostly because I didn't actually exist yet in 1987. >.>

It's never too late to come to Star Wars D6!
_________________
*
Site Map
Forum Guidelines
Registration & Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group


v2.0