The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

*** FORUM POSTING GUIDELINES ***
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> *** FORUM POSTING GUIDELINES *** Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Yeah, the No grammar nazism rule is something I've run afoul of more than once; I keep forgetting that PMs are an option.

To everyone, please keep in mind that under the expanded guideline, PMs are only an option if the forum user is ok with receiving them. Before PMing any spelling or grammar corrections, you may PM one request for each forum user for permission to PM spelling corrections. If they reply no, or they do not reply at all, any subsequent PMs asking for permission or with unsolicited corrections could be considered harassment.

Thank you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill, just a suggestion, but perhaps you should lock this topic down and start up a separate Feedback and Commentary page for the guidelines. Obviously, people are going to want to talk about it, but it might help things stay clearer to have the Guidelines and only the Guidelines on one topic.

I would second this. 1 thread with the rules and any addendums that is locked and only editable by a moderator to keep things clear, and a second thread where forum members can discuss things is a great way to go. This issue became forced on many of the 3D sites I used to frequent because of divisiveness in the community and what eventually became software flaming and wars... and any rules created by moderators were always attacked by one side or the other as unfair. Thankfully nothing that severe has happened here - but staying ahead of the curve isn't a bad move either.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The site Admin wrote:
(18) Forum Posting Guideline updates. These guidelines may be updated at any time. A reply in this thread will be generated to announce significant updates, but this OP will be edited so you do not have to read any of the replies in the thread. It is a best practice to revisit the guidelines from time to time...

If you have any questions, please feel free reply to this thread or PM me. Thank you.

CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill, just a suggestion, but perhaps you should lock this topic down and start up a separate Feedback and Commentary page for the guidelines. Obviously, people are going to want to talk about it, but it might help things stay clearer to have the Guidelines and only the Guidelines on one topic.

All the guidelines are actually in one single post, the OP of this thread which is also directly linked in my signature and pinned to the top of this forum.

All updates are always edited into that OP, and no one but an admin or moderator can edit the post. I'll reply in the thread to announce significant updates, provide commentary and/or post reminders. Replies by anyone in the thead bump the thread, making it appear in everyone's View posts since last visit, so I'm ok with user discussion being in the same thread as the OP. It is a best practice to revisit the OP from time to time.

And actually, people don't usually want to talk about the guidelines. I started this thread last year on my birthday and no one else replied in the thread until this month.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
Yeah, the No grammar nazism rule is something I've run afoul of more than once; I keep forgetting that PMs are an option.

I'll do better in the future.

Ackshually, it's not "grammar Nazi" any more. Now they're the "Alt-Write."

Wink Laughing

ROFLMAO!

Well played, sir. I salute you. 8)

Me too. Dat were verry fuddy!
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Politics Reply with quote

Quote:
Avoid politics and religion. Please avoid real-world sociopolitical and religious references (including antireligion) except as they directly relate to Star Wars in-universe, and even then, please use caution. As the majority of users here are American, the political avoidance emphasis is on modern USA politics, but we expect everyone to self-moderate political content about their own and other countries. Please: No Obama, Hillary, or Trump. Do not discuss real-world political values inherent in Star Wars. Do not state or refer to any aspect of Star Wars having a political agenda. Do not share links to pages with political content.

I wanted to share some additional clear guidance from another thread here to help everyone of all political persuasions follow this forum guideline, and stay clear of any consequences.

1. Do not discuss politics or share any political views on the Rancor Pit.
2. Do not state or allude to Star Wars having a political agenda, with or without stating what that particular agenda is.
3. Do not post links to any political content, whether it be in videos, channels, or pages. Posting warnings with it do not make it ok.
4. Do not ever write the terms SJW or SJWs on this website. Period.
5. Do not ever disparage Social Justice here. Period.
6. Do not post links to web pages that use the term SJW or disparage Social Justice.

7. Do not ever share anything from Literature Devil. His content is now permanently barred from this website. (Reasons? See 1-6 above.)

The past is done. Any prior violations of these things before this post are null and void. The slate is wiped clean. Now that the expectations for this guideline have been this clearly communicated, we can all start fresh. Violating these things can lead to warnings and temporary bans at the discretion of the staff, and permanent bans at my discretion for repeat offenders.

Please self-moderate and just don't go there. Let's please keep the Rancor Pit a politics-free zone! Thank you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:51 pm    Post subject: Proselytization Reply with quote

The Site Admin wrote:
Avoid politics and religion. Please avoid real-world sociopolitical and religious references (including antireligion) except as they directly relate to Star Wars in-universe, and even then, please use caution. As the majority of users here are American, the political avoidance emphasis is on modern USA politics, but we expect everyone to self-moderate political content about their own and other countries. Please: No Obama, Hillary, or Trump. Do not discuss real-world political values inherent in Star Wars. Do not state or refer to any aspect of Star Wars having a political agenda. Do not share links to pages with political content. Proselytization will be treated as spam.

Today we got our first proselytizer since I took over the site. I absolutely despise proselytization, so I added the blue text to this guideline for reinforcement.

Quote:
Keep it civil... Please do not spam or otherwise vandalize the forums... Spammers will be banned... Spammers can be reported in the Report Spammers thread.

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: POSTING IMAGES Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
"Keep it tidy. Please do not post images that are greater than 750 pixels wide - Instead just post a URL link to a larger image...."

This is not an update but it addresses a question I received about posting images. I apologize that this forum has never had and still doesn't have the ability to resize images. Resize or even auto-resize may exist here in the future, but it definitely doesn't now. That is why we have this guideline to not post images wider than 750 pixels.

If you want to share an internet image that is too large, you can try to find the same image of a different size elsewhere on the internet. I usually use google chrome on my mac computer. If I right-click on an internet image, one of the options I usually get is "Search Google for Image". When I click on that, it brings up a google search of the best guess for a description of that image with the image at the top. By the image it will say "Find other sizes of this image:" and then have some link options such as "All sizes" "Small" "Medium" and "Large". Try Medium if it is there. Then when you click on the size link, it will be an image search of the image of various sizes. If you want to post an image that is as big as possible, then choose one where the width (the first number of the size) is as close as you can get to 750 without going over. Then you can right-click on the image and choose "Copy Image Address" or click on the image and go to the page where it is and get the URL. I'm sorry if you don't have the same options with your OS and browser, but I would think that you might have something similar available to you.

Another option is to resize a large image. If you don't have an image editing application on your computer, https://pixlr.com/editor/ is a decent little online image editor that allows you to open images from your computer or a URL, and then resize (and perhaps crop) them. After editing it, then you would have to save the resized image on your computer and upload it to a file storing/sharing site such as https://www.mediafire.com/ . Then you can get the URL for the image and post the image here.

Lastly there is always the easy option of just only posting the URL and a link to the image instead of posting the image itself. You can always specify the text of an image link...

I'm sure that most browsers have something similar to "search Google for image" so you can find one that is 750 pixels wide or less. If not and you don't want to resize an image and upload it to the internet before sharing it, then please share a URL instead of the image. Thank you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re:Bootleg films Reply with quote

Site Admin wrote:
(14) Bootleg policy. It is commonly known that there are multiple websites where bootleg digital copies of WEG Star Wars RPG books and other copyrighted works are available for free download. The Rancor Pit Forums is not one of those sites. Please do not post direct links to those downloads or even links to sites where they are located. The Rancor Pit does not endorse or condone illegal pirating. Please note this bootleg restriction does not apply to fan-made supplements which are freely discussed in the Tools forum, and shared here. Also, please also do not share links to or discuss how to acquire copies of films not sold through official channels, including fan edits of films. Sharing links to video clips is ok.

The blue text was added to (14). Fan edits of the films exist. I don't see any issues with just discussing fan edits and sharing clips - Let's please just not go as far as sharing how to get copies of the films here. Thank you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Spoiler policies Reply with quote

Site Admin wrote:
(13) Spoiler policies. Not spoiling forthcoming or new Star Wars stories is a common courtesy, but the only official spoiler policies we have are regarding future or newly released films. Please look for a film's Spoiler policy details thread posted to the top section of this forum in the days leading up to a film's release. We generally require the use of our make-shift spoiler tagging (White Font Colour) for spoiler text throughout the site until a specified date a couple weeks after the film’s release, with the exception of one single "Spoilers Allowed" thread that will be posted in the General Star Wars forum. Pure fan speculation is not spoiling. Officially released trailers, images, and information from the studio and creators are not spoilers. Unintentionally released material (leaks) are spoilers.

I added the blue text for general clarification of what is and isn't spoiling, and to address films not yet released.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Politics Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Quote:
Avoid politics and religion. Please avoid real-world sociopolitical and religious references (including antireligion) except as they directly relate to Star Wars in-universe, and even then, please use caution. As the majority of users here are American, the political avoidance emphasis is on modern USA politics, but we expect everyone to self-moderate political content about their own and other countries. Please: No Obama, Hillary, or Trump. Do not discuss real-world political values inherent in Star Wars. Do not state or refer to any aspect of Star Wars having a political agenda. Do not share links to pages with political content.

I wanted to share some additional clear guidance from another thread here to help everyone of all political persuasions follow this forum guideline, and stay clear of any consequences.

1. Do not discuss politics or share any political views on the Rancor Pit. Period.
2. Do not state or allude to Star Wars having a political agenda, with or without stating what that particular agenda is.
3. Do not post links to any political content, whether it be in videos, channels, or pages. Posting warnings with it do not make it ok.
4. Do not ever write the terms SJW or SJWs on this website. Period.
5. Do not ever disparage Social Justice here. Period.
6. Do not post links to web pages that use the term SJW or disparage Social Justice.

7. Do not ever share anything from Literature Devil. His content is now permanently barred from this website. (Reasons? See 1-6 above.)

The past is done. Any prior violations of these things before this post are null and void. The slate is wiped clean. Now that the expectations for this guideline have been this clearly communicated, we can all start fresh. Violating these things can lead to warnings and temporary bans at the discretion of the staff, and permanent bans at my discretion for repeat offenders.

Please self-moderate and just don't go there.

It seems that it is time to revisit this.

Quote:
Whatever one's feelings on the matter, Kennedy's social views would've been far more acceptable (or at least unobjectionable) to the Star Wars fan base had she delivered a quality product.

Let me take a moment to put something into greater perspective about the Star Wars fanbase here at the Rancor Pit. It seems a very important consideration of this guideline is lost on some of you. You not going into your views is how I don't reply with mine. A certain population of Rancor Pit users would NOT want me to get political here. Would you like it if the Rancor Pit declared an official political stance? A lot of people wouldn't mind, but I guarantee some of you would absolutely hate it. If I don't share my politics, you can't share yours. It's simple, and it's fair.

I am proceeding from the presumption that all of you are intelligent enough to understand what to avoid, and have enough willpower to resist doing so. Just don't go there. Let's please keep the Rancor Pit a politics-free zone! Thank you, again.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: ***FILM RANT GUIDE 2019*** Reply with quote

Site Admin wrote:
The Rancor Pit - Forums Posting Guidelines

*** FILM RANT GUIDE 2019 ***

There will be a lot of complaining about The Rise of Skywalker. As a friendly reminder, above are the most relevant forum guidelines. Before the bloodbath begins, I thought it would be important to have a handy quick reference guide. I am willing to slightly relax my usual standard about film bashing (extreme negativity) but only with the following strict stipulations:

1. If you haven't seen the movie, your opinions about it are unwanted during the spoiler restriction period. (This is a no-brainer and should go without saying, but the worst bashing that Solo got here was from someone who was just going by what his cousin had told him about it.)
    2. Be as positive as you want about anything, no limitations there! Please share any positivity you can!
    3. Do not even mention race, gender, sexual orientation, SJW pandering, political agendas, etc. Just don't go there.
    4. Your subjective opinions about the films are not facts.
    5. Do not criticize other fans for liking something more than you do. Talk about the films, not each other. Do not make it personal. Rejoice for those who's fandom is more powerful than yours. If someone else enjoys a Star Wars film you don't, let them.
    6. There's still no need to be melodramatic about it. Your childhood still has not actually been ruined.

Please be advised that I may just edit the posts of others if needed, but repeat offenders will get warnings. Temporary bans are always on the table if need be, but I am hoping that won't be necessary.

Please apply the same guidelines to the content of webpages that links are shared for. This is your chance to vent your frustrations about the films so please don't ruin it. Thank you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Spoiler policies Reply with quote

Site Admin wrote:
(13) Spoiler policies. Not spoiling forthcoming or new Star Wars stories is a common courtesy but not strictly regulated beyond theatrical films and Disney+ content. All spoiler discussions and shared media of current and forthcoming Star Wars content first appearing on Disney+ will be protected by the following five spoiler protection practices: (a) There will be a single "Spoilers Allowed" thread stickied to the top of the General Star Wars forum for each show when it first airs in America. These are the only threads where open spoiler discussions of these shows are allowed without restriction. (b) Everywhere else on the Rancor Pit, please use White Font Colour tags for any spoiler text. Please be tactical about the use of spoiler tagging. If the mere presence of spoiler tagging would hint to a revelation in the film, please instead post it in the applicable Spoilers Allowed thread. (c) Outside of the Spoilers Allowed threads, please do not post images with spoilers, including in the Star Wars Memes thread. As an option you can always post a URL to spoiler images. (d) Outside of the Spoilers Allowed threads, please clearly identify links to web pages with spoiler content. If the URL text itself is a spoiler, please only post it in the applicable Spoilers Allowed thread. (e) Please do not 'cross-spoil' by posting spoilers for one show in another show's Spoilers Allowed thread. There are currently no spoiler restrictions in effect for any theatrical films. Please see the Spoiler Policy thread for links to the current Spoilers Allowed threads and more information.

I updated the Forum Guidelines in the OP to reflect the new Rancor Pit Spoiler Policy.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:19 am    Post subject: A couple things Reply with quote

One of my best friends is Mike. We've actually been friends since we were kids in 1982 (he is a little older than me). We bonded over D&D and comic books. And we loved the then-two Star Wars movies. Mike and his brother had some different Star Wars toys than I had. They got Bantha Tracks, this quarterly Star Wars fan club mailing. I vaguely remember the excitement building towards Return of the Jedi by seeing glimpses of the film like Admiral Ackbar, and maybe a magazine with a picture of the battle breaking out near the shield bunker. Our respective dads took us to see RotJ in the theater separately, but we got to talk about it afterward. We homebrewed our own Star Was RPG based on our D&D/AD&D hybrid rules and played it that summer.

Fast forward about 20 years after we first met. We were talking about Star Wars and I went on this long passionate monologue about everything I love about Star Wars. (I have some ideas of what all I may have said but I don't remember for sure.) Finally I stopped and asked him, "Well, what do you love about Star Wars?" He said nothing for a few seconds, and then he looked up and energetically exclaimed, "Pew-pew! Pew-pew!"

Mike is the one constant person who has been with me for every Star Wars movie release/rerelease opening day since 1997: The SEs, the PT, TPM3D, and all five Disney films. We had opposite reactions to TRoS. He was so pumped up and excited after the movie. He bought a t-shirt at the theater. I tried to hide my confusion and disappointment for him, because I didn't want to ruin his Star Wars buzz. TRoS did have a lot of pew-pew, for sure. Here he was pushing 50 and he was giddy like a kid seeing Star Wars.

In this fandom, I've run into fans who go beyond expressing that they don't like a movie and why. Some fans are actually in disbelief that other fans don't feel the same way they do. I get it. Most of us have been there at some time or another. But please take care when expressing your disbelief that others don't have a problem with something you do. Some fans may only need pew-pew. (And I think we can all agree that pew-pew is great.) I try to be happy for people that enjoy films I don't.

I also wanted to post a reminder that, if you have a problem with anything I have said in reply to a post of yours, please feel free to PM me what specifically is the issue about my post and ask for an edit. I think you'll find that I respond favorably to reason.

Thank you very much.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said. Thanks Whill!
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Site Admin wrote:
Bootleg policy. It is commonly known that there are multiple websites where bootleg digital copies of WEG Star Wars RPG books and other copyrighted works are available for free download. The Rancor Pit Forums is not one of those sites. Please do not post direct links to those downloads or even links to sites where they are located. The Rancor Pit does not endorse or condone illegal pirating. Please note this bootleg restriction does not apply to fan-made supplements which are freely discussed in the Tools forum, and shared here. Also, please also do not share links to or discuss how to acquire copies of films not sold through official channels, including fan edits of films. Sharing links to video clips is ok. Please do not state, imply, or share links to opinions indicating it is ok to steal Lucasfilm IP or any other Disney IP.

I added the blue sentence to this guideline. Thank you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: