The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Mandalorian [Spoilers Allowed]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> The Mandalorian [Spoilers Allowed] Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:

Don't forget hazards like long drops without safety rails! As mentioned in another thread, that's core Star Wars right there!

Yeah, I forgot the non-OSHA approved catwalks without guard rails. Pure Star Wars!
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we conclude that Ezra is dead by this episode?

Here is the resoning behind the question.

We we last saw Ahsoka she was teaminging up with Sabine to find ezra.

We have yet to see Sabine, however this last episode made me actully think Ezra maybe dead.

Ahsoka was looking for this lady's master, Grand AdmiralThrawn.
To me an indication that his very much alive and up to some sinister sheaming
with him and ezra "poofing" out to whereverintheuniverse togheter and with no referaances to "another jedi" which Ezra would be, I am beginning to think he is in fact dead
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be wise to put young Grougu to possibly inexperienced Jedi-to-be like Ezra? Unless he somehow changed during his absence. Luke seems to be reasonable choice. unless the Force will decide otherwise on Tython...
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
Can we conclude that Ezra is dead by this episode?

Here is the resoning behind the question.

We we last saw Ahsoka she was teaminging up with Sabine to find ezra.

We have yet to see Sabine, however this last episode made me actully think Ezra maybe dead.

Ahsoka was looking for this lady's master, Grand AdmiralThrawn.
To me an indication that his very much alive and up to some sinister sheaming
with him and ezra "poofing" out to whereverintheuniverse togheter and with no referaances to "another jedi" which Ezra would be, I am beginning to think he is in fact dead

No we cannot conclude that Ezra is dead. When we last saw Thrawn and Ezra, the hyperspace whales took them to away parts unknown. After the Battle of Endor, Ahsoka and Sabine left to go look for Ezra. I saw nothing in this episode to make me think Ezra might be dead because the reason Ashoka is looking for Thrawn is to find Ezra. Sure, they could surprise us and she finds out Ezra is dead after all, but the lack of referring to him in this episode doesn't mean anything because finding Thrawn is her best clue to finding Ezra, who was last seen with Thrawn. Also, in this new canon where all Jedi become Force ghosts, Rey heard Kanan's and Ahsoka's voice in TRoS, but not Ezra's. So what we can conclude is that Ahsoka dies at some point before TRoS.

Darklighter79 wrote:
Would it be wise to put young Grougu to possibly inexperienced Jedi-to-be like Ezra? Unless he somehow changed during his absence.

Grogu, yeah my wife and son hate that name, lol.

Ezra may not be a Skywalker but he always seemed unnaturally strong in the Force, like several other Force users in this franchise. So he is an exception to traditional wisdom. And Ezra is an adult by now and perhaps wiser. Perhaps he got more training or is still in training with a Jedi or other Force user in the Unknown Regions. Is it even wise to have Ezra on this show? lol

Darklighter79 wrote:
Luke seems to be reasonable choice.

Yes, as I stated two episode's ago, Luke is the reasonable choice. I get that Ashoka is out hunting for Thrawn to find Ezra (so I guess that explains why she is not helping Luke restore the Jedi Order), but in this episode she said, "The Jedi Order fell a long time ago." Luke trained Leia not long after the Battle Of Endor (which was also around the time Ben Solo was born, so I'm not sure if Leia trained under Luke while she was pregnant or soon after Ben was born). A few years later during The Mandalorian, there is still isn't any Jedi Order. Many years later, Kylo Ben completely destroyed Luke's new Jedi Order, which only had students at that point, in a single location. So this all further begs the question: What the hell was Luke doing all these years in between training Leia and starting his new Jedi Order?! He must not have been passing on what he had learned like Yoda told him to do.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Beskar is another Cortosis that can't be cut by lightsabers. I think this hurts the drama because Mando is nearly invincible.

I thought Ahsoka was perfectly cast for the older Ahsoka last seen in Rebels. Looks, voice, everything. I'm not a fan of her species (design), but the live-action Ahsoka was 100 times better than the animated one. It's wonderful that she has normal-sized eyes like Shaak Ti. I was so thrilled she didn't do that stupid backwards lightsaber thing in battle... until she did. That was a let down after such awesome action in this episode.

But can I also just say how dumb it is that Grogu can't speak? (Pun intended.) He's 50 years old. He understands language. There isn't any reason he can't at least toddler-talk. It would be cute!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also the fact that it's a big galaxy and Ahsoka Tano might not have heard that Luke was taking students.

There's also the fact that she's scared the little guy (I really want to know how to spell his name) would turn into another Vader.

Those things aside, how many people were overjoyed when Baby Yoda finally listened to Shiny Daddy and got his favorite shiny metal ball into his hand? For once, a fictional character was more overjoyed than I was over an event!

We also get a better look at the sleeping arrangements for the Razor Crest, which made me "D'awwwwwwwwwwwwwww" a lot.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
So Beskar is another Cortosis that can't be cut by lightsabers. I think this hurts the drama because Mando is nearly invincible.
Well, Cortosis was supposed to SHUT DOWN lightsabers. Beskar was always supposed to be RESISTANT to lightsabers.

"Resistant" is not "invulnerable", however. Keep hammering at a bullet-"proof" vest, and it'll eventually give in.

Armour doesn't make someone invulnerable, it just makes injury, especially battle condition injuries, a lot less likely. The Mando took an insane risk, and an insane amount of damage, from the Stormies on the freighter before he flung out his demo charges. He was lucky, nothing more.

Hit the Mando somewhere that his Beskar doesn't cover (only where his body glove is), and you'll see him drop like a Stormy. And less likely to get back up if the Stormy got hit in the Plastoid (See the Battle Of Tantive IV for limping Stormtroopers while Rebels are outright D-E-D Dead.)

Effectively: If Asoka had kept hammering on the Mando or the Magistrate's spear, she'd have gotten through eventually. Mandalorians were the ONLY people in lore to fight the Jedi "on an even battlefield" because of their Beskar. And we saw exactly why this week.
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
What the hell was Luke doing all these years in between training Leia and starting his new Jedi Order?! He must not have been passing on what he had learned like Yoda told him to do.

Maybe this was the time when he traveled across the galaxy looking for any info about the Jedi / their "sacred text" and artifacts to prepare for the role of a teacher?
-----------
Update for a teacher: maybe Cal Kestis?

As for visuals of this episode: I really liked two classic battle sequences: samurai and westerns for the final duels.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
Whill wrote:
What the hell was Luke doing all these years in between training Leia and starting his new Jedi Order?! He must not have been passing on what he had learned like Yoda told him to do.

Maybe this was the time when he traveled across the galaxy looking for any info about the Jedi / their "sacred text" and artifacts to prepare for the role of a teacher?

"Tales of Luke Skywalker" has some great stories related to this... researching other Force traditions was part of it.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
Whill wrote:
Well, Cortosis was supposed to SHUT DOWN lightsabers. Beskar was always supposed to be RESISTANT to lightsabers.

My bad. I thought Cortosis was the stuff that the electrostaffs of the magnaguard droids in RotS were made out of. When I first saw that movie, I was still under the old WEG premise that ligthsabers could cut through anything. Then I thought that electrostaffs were made out of a rare special material and must have conflated that with cortosis. Wookieepedia doesn't even say what electrostaffs are made out of. Maybe they are made out of beskar, like that bad lady's spear was.

Ray wrote:
"Resistant" is not "invulnerable", however... If Asoka had kept hammering on the Mando or the Magistrate's spear, she'd have gotten through eventually.

OK, thanks for the clarifications, but this is still largely semantics. My general point still remains, that Mando's beskar armor is even stronger than I thought it was. IMO it lessens the drama.

Quote:
Mandalorians were the ONLY people in lore to fight the Jedi "on an even battlefield" because of their Beskar.

Jango Fett did pretty good against a very talented, Sith-Lord-defeating Jedi Knight on Kamino. Fett isn't a Mandalorian. (I mean, Fett was a Mandalorian at first and then they retconned that away so he wasn't a real Mandalorian.) Granted Fett was killed by one of the most powerful Jedi Masters on Geonosis, but Windu had help from a reek.

Ray wrote:
There's also the fact that it's a big galaxy and Ahsoka Tano might not have heard that Luke was taking students.

But she couldn't have heard that anyway because he wasn't taking on students.

Ray wrote:
There's also the fact that she's scared the little guy (I really want to know how to spell his name) would turn into another Vader.

Right, because a strange mystical temple knows better than Luke Skywalker, a Jedi who survived the death of Palpatine and Vader without turning to the Dark Side as his father had.

Darklighter79 wrote:
Whill wrote:

Yoda's dying imperative was for Luke to pass on what he had learned. But Yoda wasn't really dead. Luke continued to have his counsel, along with those of another Jedi Master and a former Sith Lord...

YODA: Luke, told you to pass on what you have learned, I did.
LUKE: Master Yoda, I want to search the galaxy for information about Jedi.
YODA: Chopped liver, I am, hmm?

MrNexx wrote:
"Tales of Luke Skywalker" has some great stories related to this... researching other Force traditions was part of it.

Do you mean The Legends of Luke Skywalker? I haven't read that but it is my understanding that is in-universe myths and tall tales which may not be completely true. Anyway...

YODA: Luke, told you to pass on what you have learned, I did.
LUKE: Masters, I wish to research other Force traditions.
BEN: Your father learning about another Force tradition is what got us into this mess.
ANAKIN: The Jedi didn't return for you to look elsewhere.

Unfortunately, this is what happens when The Mandalorian starts bringing the rest of the franchise into it. It all starts to unravel.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far so good.

Backwards lightsabers are dumb though.

Let's hope if Thrawn appears he isn't given omniscience cloaked as "tactical genius" like in the book.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Backwards lightsabers are dumb though.

Let's hope if Thrawn appears he isn't given omniscience cloaked as "tactical genius" like in the book.

What, you mean you can't read your enemies' minds by studying art made by a different person of the same species? Laughing
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

MrNexx wrote:

Do you mean The Legends of Luke Skywalker? I haven't read that but it is my understanding that is in-universe myths and tall tales which may not be completely true. Anyway...

That was it. Good book. Only recall one story being really weak, and it's of the "Your heroes are doofuses, this inexplicably tiny character made them the real heroes" type.
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

My bad. I thought Cortosis was the stuff that the electrostaffs of the magnaguard droids in RotS were made out of. When I first saw that movie, I was still under the old WEG premise that ligthsabers could cut through anything. Then I thought that electrostaffs were made out of a rare special material and must have conflated that with cortosis. Wookieepedia doesn't even say what electrostaffs are made out of. Maybe they are made out of beskar, like that bad lady's spear was.

Found this on Wookiepedia (in cannon as well as in legends section): Phrik - a metallic compound . This is the material used in electrostaffs.

If I recall correctly, in RotS making of (bonus dvd material) these staffs were originally supposed to have an energy coating that would allow to block lightsabers. Then it evolved to phrik concept with energy only on the endings.

Cortosis cuts out the power as the energy blade, which is inside the magnetic field, makes contact with this material.

Phrik/ Beskar do not allow (my theory only) the magnetic field of the saber to push through and make contact with the deadly energy blade possible. Just like two blades of lightsabers cannot pass through each other or any other energy shield. Hence the "block" effect. Otherwise we should see as the blade slashes through an beskar/phrik armor but leaves no heat mark damage/ or minimal one due to unique resistance of these materials.

I think also that this magnetic field is what allows to deflect the bolts and that keeps the saber in place after throwing attack:

Whill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again. I see that I had only gone to the canon page for Electrostaffs, which does not say what they are made of. Which really doesn't make sense when talking about RotS back in the day. Normally I pay attention to which canon tab I am on and consult both versions.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 16 of 33

Jump to: