The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Tramp Freighters underwater
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Tramp Freighters underwater Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So the question is, for a starship that is not especially designed for travel underwater (no special hull or shields reconfiguration), how deep could it go? On Earth, every 100 meters below sea level is about 10 more atmospheres of pressure (1 "atmosphere" being the air pressure at sea level). How many atmospheres can a ship withstand? There should be a point before which no Hull rolls need to be made.

cheshire wrote:
If you were going to get really detailed with some semblance of verisimilitude, I would think it would be as much a test of their seals and pressurization systems, which might even be a separate stat.

However, I don't tend to play with that level of detail, and I think that it being a function of the hull makes perfect sense to me.

Cool. Do you have any ideas of what depth would see reasonable for an earthlike world as a basis (gravity and size/sea level)? The idea is, that for a starship hull designed primarily to hold ship internals and atmo in, and survive external asteroid strikes and pirate blasters, what would be the external water pressure point where the hull would be begin to micro fracture, which would lead to bigger fractures and the ship would begin taking on water. I'd like to make the depth a function of the Hull, and just not even make Hull rolls until a certain depth, but that depth would vary depending on Each ship's Hull. For ships that do not have special shield modifications that protect the ship, like the DeepWater.
Registration & Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just eyeballing some crush depths of submarines, I would suggest that each 50 meters of depth does 1D of damage to the hull. A solid 4D hull, could *maybe* be safe at 200 meters (competitive with WW2 Uboats), and shrug off the pressure. Something that is specially designed like the Deepwater should have more flexibility, though I don't think I have a mechanic for that.
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Just eyeballing some crush depths of submarines, I would suggest that each 50 meters of depth does 1D of damage to the hull. A solid 4D hull, could *maybe* be safe at 200 meters (competitive with WW2 Uboats), and shrug off the pressure. Something that is specially designed like the Deepwater should have more flexibility, though I don't think I have a mechanic for that.

Thanks. DeepWater stats indicate a special shield mode that protects the ship and comes with a depth (1 km). The question was really for ships without special shields, which could also apply to the DeepWater when the shields aren't functional. Thanks again.
Registration & Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: